World of Final Fantasy's list of recognizable faces keeps expanding as we near release.
- FOR HONOR REVIEW // FOR HONOR, GLORY, AND MEDIOCRITY
- HOW FINAL FANTASY XV EXPRESSES ITS THEME OF BROTHERHOOD THROUGH ITS MECHANICS
- 5 CHARACTERS I HOPE APPEAR IN MARVEL VS. CAPCOM INFINITE
- NEW DEV UPDATE FOR PSYCHONAUTS 2 HINTS AT PSYCHONAUTS HQ
- SYMMION’S ANTICIPATED GAMES OF 2017
- REQUIRED READING: POLYGON’S ORAL HISTORY OF FINAL FANTASY 7
- STARDEW VALLEY REVIEW // A PLAYABLE PARADISE
For fans longing for Square Enix's venerated series to return to its turn-based roots, World of Final Fantasy may be just the nostalgia-soaked ticket.
A compelling story. Characters worth caring about. A world we can get lost in. These are just a few of the reasons people find RPGs of any stripe compelling, from Final Fantasy to Mass Effect. One of the most significant aspects of any RPG is rewarding combat. You spend an awful lot of your time in most games of this type steamrolling enemies to watch your characters grow in power. That basic formula is at the heart of Diablo's success, after all.
But we'll look at Diablo another time. Right now I want to shed a light on what I feel are the 7 best turn-based battle systems in RPGs past and present. A note before moving forward: I am excluding games that place a premium on free character movement, whether grid-based or analog. That means no strategy/tactical RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM: Enemy Within, and no action-based systems like Tales of Xillia or Transistor. I hope you enjoy the read and feel free to let me know what your favorites are in the comments below!
© 2018 All Platform Gaming All Rights Reserved